This is the recipe for zero waste homemade crackers that I have been making lately. They are really simple, crunchy and great with dips. I have been using rosemary but really you could put any fresh herbs in like thyme, parsley, chives, dill, coriander, whatever you have on hand.
- 1 & 1/2 cups Plain Flour (The Green Heart Grocer's baking flour is perfect or substitute it for Spelt as a low Gluten cracker)
- 2t fresh herbs e.g. rosemary
- 2T Olive Oil (I use The Green Heart Grocer's Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil)
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional: salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- In a food processor place all ingredients except water and pulse. About 10 seconds.
- Add water and pulse till a dough forms. Another 10 seconds.
- Remove the dough and press into a ball. Divide this into 4 and let it sit for 10 minutes. This takes away the dough's elasticity!
- Lightly flour a surface and rolling pin and roll as thin as possible.
- Peel the dough off the surface and place in on a lined baking tray.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into cracker size pieces.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flip and bake for another 3-5 minutes depending on your oven. Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. (The Plain Flour crackers will puff up, the Spelt version just a little)
- Leave them to completely cool and then store in an airtight container:)